Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Jewish New Year!

I know it's really the Chinese New Year, but I have over 100 Jewish New Year postcards in my collection, and I wanted to start getting some of them onto the blog! Nearly all of them are from the Williamsburg Art publishing company, and all are about 100 years old. Each says in Hebrew, "L'Shanah Tova Tikatavu" which roughly means "May you be inscribed in the book of life for a good year." They all contain a short message in Yiddish as well, however I don't have translations for most of them. In this one, note the early telephone, still a novelty at the time this postcard was published.

2 comments:

Christine H. said...

I hope you post more of these...how wonderful!

Stacey said...

Wow! I have never seen Jewish New Year's cards- How wonderful! Something else to discover...