Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy New Year 5772!













Happy New Year to all my Jewish friends. I've included some new Shanah Tova greeting cards from my collection. These were published somewhere around 1900-1920 by the Williamsburg Art Company. Each has the Hebrew inscription "L'Shana Tova Tikatavu" which roughly translates into "May you be inscribed in the Book of Life for a good year." The other wording on the postcards is in the Yiddish language, however I have translations for only a few of the over 100 different cards in my collection. Any Yiddish speakers out there want to translate?

6 comments:

Coffeedoff said...

Interesting cards, the angel one is my favourite.

MrCachet said...

I don't read or speak my own 'first' language (French), so I'm no help whatsoever! I like the calligraphy, however.

Snap said...

Interesting cards and a Happy New Year 5772! Happy PFF!

Maria said...

I like the third postcard w/ the angel. Happy new year too!

Sreisaat said...

These are fantastic postcards! Like Mr. Cachet said, the calligraphy is nice. The last postcard reminds me of a biblical story which I cannot remember now. Happy new year!!

Postcards Crossing

Heather said...

Nice collection. I also like the third one, though it was the star that attracted me.

I have a contest this week. Please visit and leave a comment to be entered.

http://sendapostcardaweek.blogspot.com/2011/09/where-to-send-this-card.html