Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ice Harvesting

 
It's been freezing here lately, so I thought it would be appropriate to do a post relating to ice!  This card shows ice harvesting on the Kennebec River, in Maine. 
 
It's always great to add a little background information to my posts, but in this case no one has done it better than Steve Round, a 1st grade teacher in Providence, Rhode Island.  Visit his class website for lots more information.  For an excellent treatise on ice harvesting from the 1918 Book Of Knowledge, follow this link as well.  It's a great article, with lots of character and writing style from the same era as the postcard pictured above.

7 comments:

Heather said...

ihave heard of ice harvesting before. Whether I saw it in movies or documentaries, I can't recall. it does sound like it could be a dangerous activity

Snap said...

Interesting post and postcard. I watched the news this morning and watched the ice barreling down rivers in the NE. Yikes! Happy PFF!

Beth Niquette said...

I have always been intrigued by ice harvesting. One can still see ice houses, or cold rooms where they put the ice in order to keep things cool. You can see them in the sides of the hills where I grew up.

I think they had to have the ice delivered somehow. This is a fascinating postcard! Thank you so much for the link, too.

Happy PFF!

VioletSky said...

This is an interesting active postcard!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

We've had some severe winter weather here too but I don't think there has been any ice-harvesting. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just looking at this postcard reminds me of living in Buffalo for a year. One of the coldest times in my life for sure! This wouldn't be done any justice if it were made into regular color copies
on a piece of paper.